1. It ACTUALLY feels like fall this morning…although the sun is trying to come out and ruin it.
2. Walking Woody to work with Cleo and enjoying said previously mentioned fall weather…and walking home with a hot coffee!
3. Having lunch with my old boss and catching up on all the latest from my previous job…which is even better…because I get to relish the fact (privately) that I don’t have to deal with any of that drama!
4. Looking forward to a weekend spent in Santa Barbara county tasting some wine with friends!
5. It’s finally cooled off enough that we slept with the windows wide open last night and the fan on high. This also means that Cleo will let us sleep in a bit more as she comes under the covers early in the morning and enjoys sleeping all snuggled and cozy under the blankets.
…just an orphaned 234 lb. walrus who has a new home at the New York Aquarium. He’s awkward and cute!
I’d have enough of it to update this little blog more often. Sometimes, I get hung up on trying to recap everything that I’ve been doing…and when there is not enough time to do that…I just ignore it altogether. So…here’s what’s been going on around here…
and when someone else is doing the majority of the ‘catching’…a cold one tastes mighty fine…
Cleo joined us on the trip and got in on the action with some swimming for birds!
Can’t get enough of the Sierras!
More on that trip in a future post…
Next up…Monterey, CA!
Thanks to Woody’s intellectual prowess…we get the bonus of a trip to Monterey in September for the next four years thanks to a Packard Fellowship for the annual meeting. He has business to attend to during this meeting…but I just enjoyed the trip…especially the part about before-hours access to the Monterey Bay Aquarium!
Not a bad view from the hotel…
Woody gave his talk on the first morning, which worked out well and he could relax a bit after that.
Plenty of otters in the bay…I spent hours watching and photographing. It was actually hard to look out at the ocean and not see at least one!
The weekend is busy with talks given by the fellows but there was also plenty of time to socialize and get to know the attendees. We were lucky to have a good friend/colleague of ours from another University to hang out with at the lunches and dinners!
Seals, sea lions, cormorants, herons, kayakers…
We were treated to a fog free weekend – just beautiful!
Look closely…that is an entire raft of otters…pretty much a party out there in the kelp beds!
Sunrise over the bay
Just to top it off…we shared a flight back to LAX with a certain famous person. Many would know him as McDreamy…and although Woody now thinks I’m a stalker for knowing who he is and being a bit starstruck…it was a quick reminder that celebrities are real people (at least some of them) who fly commercial airlines. Even better than the sighting, was the very tipsy woman across the aisle on the plane who drunk-whispered (as in I’m sure the whole plane heard her) “Is that guy up there famous or something…?” He looks so familiar…what’s his name…I could be seeing things…I’ve had a little too much sun today and a…lot…of…wine…” Priceless!
Alright this post has gotten a bit longer than intended…so…here’s part one. Part two including a recap of our Teton trip and some other recent adventures/mishaps coming soon!